One Last Hurrah! Tips for Pool Cleaning in the Off Months
The responsibilities of owning a pool last all year long. During the off months, usually the fall and winter seasons, the pool does not get that much use. That can lead to a lack in maintaining it. It is important to always take care of it, even when you are not using the pool. You want to ensure a successful and clean opening of the pool when the warmer weather starts to come back around! Here are some pool cleaning tips to keep in mind during the off seasons:
- Add algaecide: using an algaecide that stays in the water for a long length of time will help prevent from any algae growing. On the last day of operating the pool, add this to the water and run the pump for 24 hours so it can fully circulate. Then shut down the circulation system for the winter. If you keep the algae away, opening the pool will be much easier.
- Check your pool system to prevent freezing: as the colder weather approaches and you plan to stop using the pool for the time being, it is essential to remember to check your pool pipes and motorized parts. Drain the water from the pump, pool heater, and filter. You also want to drain the water 4 to 6 inches below the pool skimmer.
- Keep the pool cover clean: it is important to have a winter cover for your pool. A safely covered pool beats an uncovered pool anytime because there is no better insurance for keeping toddlers and wildlife out of the pool. If you can, keep the water level where it is supposed to be and the pumps running.
- Add chlorine to the pool water: this will keep the water clean and ready to use when the warmer season comes back. Do not add to much chlorine because if it is too high, it can bleach the liner. As soon as the water thaws in the spring, add more chlorine to the pool. You can do this yourself or hire a professional with Keith Zars Pools in San Antonio. If you find that your water is green in the spring, add more liquid chlorine and allow the filter to do its work. Be patient with it, but if you do not see any progress, add more.
- Pay attention to the weather: if the fall season is warmer than usual, it is important to check the pool and add more chlorine and algaecide to prepare for the colder season. If you live in an area with heavy rain falls, much of the winterizing chemicals may become diluted. Just before the big freeze hits, add the chemicals to the water to ensure it makes it through the spring opening.
- Protect the water and open early: using winterizing products in the water has some biocidal properties to slow down or prevent microorganism growth. The principles you follow in the summer also apply in the winter. If you can always maintain a proper pH level, pool care will be much easier for you.
If you are lost in pool maintenance or do not think you can handle it on your own, call Keith Zars Pools to help you out. We offer many different services done by our professionals and technicians. We can repair or replace all brands of pool equipment, we have licensed master electricians, plumbers, and technicians, and order pool chemicals. Also, we offer weekly pool cleaning services in San Antonio. Visit our website to request a service or give us a call at 210-494-0800.